Friday, January 21, 2011

A Day in the Life

Happy Frosty Friday everyone!

Well, we had a rough day yesterday. Ben's separation anxiety has become intense over the last month or so. I honestly can't even use the bathroom without him pounding on the door and crying to get in. UGH.

Yesterday, MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) started up again after the holiday break. We go every other Thursday for 2 hours and it is my rare opportunity to spend some time with an awesome group of ladies and just eat and laugh and RELAX. It is held at a local church and they provide childcare while we have our meeting. When I dropped Ben off at his room, he cried as usual, but I figured he would calm down after awhile. Ten short minutes into our meeting, another mom came up to me and asked if I was Ben's mom and told me he was still screaming bloody murder and the ladies in the nursery wanted me to come get him. Great. Sooooo, I quickly went downstairs and could hear him clear across the building. He was SCREAMING and yelling mommy and bye-bye. Knife to the heart.

I picked him up and he immediately calmed down. But then I had to bring him to the MOPS meeting with me. If you know Ben, you know that just DID. NOT. WORK. I mean, sitting quietly for the average two-year old boy is A LOT to ask. Asking that of the super-energetic Ben is just impossible. I tried, but alas, we just had to pack up and go home.... Which was a 30 minute process of me, hands completely full, trying to corral Ben to the door while he held on to the water fountain yelling "NO!".

When dinner rolled around, I was not up for our meal-time battle of trying to get Ben to sit in his booster to eat. He usually refuses to sit in his booster seat (meaning, we cannot physically get him in the chair), so we've been letting him sit at the table without it. However, he frequently crawls up on the table and we have to re-sit him in the chair approximately 80 times during each meal. Anyway....I was not up to all that after the day we had, so I let him do this....

Yes, that is indeed my child sitting on the coffee table, eating chicken nuggets from a paper plate, with milk in hand, watching television. I know. You can nominate me for mother-of-the-year anytime you want. I'm not proud of this moment, but folks, there are just times when you are DONE for the day.


In other Ben news, we are going to be starting the potty training process in the next month or two. We bought him a little seat that fits over the big potty seat. He sits on it from time to time just to get acquainted with it. During that time, he usually tries to flush the toilet or shred the toilet paper. He also does a lot hissing as there is a snake (along with several other characters) on his potty seat. He does a lot of talking about "pee-pees and poopies" too, although he has yet to "produce". It's all pretty humorous.

Ben says, "Cheese"......


Sorry for making you read all my challenges of motherhood. Sometimes you just need to get it off your chest. :-) Hope you all have a great weekend!!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey, Brooke! So Ben got to sit on the coffee table and eat and watch TV? Sounds pretty good to me! Some days it's just whatever works; right? One look at that darling, angelic face and I would let Ben do whatever he likes!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cindy of course :) Love you!!!! Give the little guy kisses from his Gigi and a big hug to you :)