Monday, January 17, 2011

Cooking Myself into an Early Grave

Hello all! Before I get into the particulars of this post, I'm going to give everyone their Ben fix first. Below are some recent pictures chronicling Ben's new-found love of play-dough. One thing he LOVES to do is watch me press the play-dough through one of the little "shape-makers" that came in the kit. When the play-dough comes through, it looks like snakes, so Ben makes his "hissing" sound every time the dough comes out. Very funny. He also hisses when he wants me to get the play-dough out. He goes into the dining room and opens the drawer that has the table cloth in it (which we use only when coloring or playing with play-dough) and hisses relentlessly. It is impossible to say no to that :-)



A play-dough session is not complete until you have made play-dough noses.



Now, on to the main subject of this post. I've been trying to be better about including more veggies in my diet recently. When I get ready for "running/racing" season, I try to step the nutrition up a notch because it's important to give my body what it needs if I'm going to be running 5 days a week. Soooo, to get more veggies in, I've been roasting a variety of them for lunch...as a side dish, not as my entire meal! (I can just hear my mom..." you ONLY ate VEGETABLES for LUNCH....you need MORE than THAT!!!") I had chili too. Roasted veggies are so delish and Ben gobbles them right up. However, the process is somewhat labor-intensive and I have incurred not one, but two injuries as a result.

So, the first injury came when I was trying to keep Ben away from the oven while simultaneously sliding the dish of veggies in there. I accidentally brushed the top of my arm across the top rack of the 400 degree oven. Result below.....


It looks worse than it feels. Actually, it didn't hurt all that bad when it happened and I didn't even notice that it left such a nasty mark until I got in the shower later that night and felt a pain when the hot water hit my arm. Takes me back to high school when I dropped a hot iron on the inside of my wrist and it left a mark that looked like I tried to slit my wrist. Nice. I was always self-conscious about it and thought people were always staring at it. I still have the scar. I digress....

My second accident occurred while preparing a butternut squash for roasting. My goodness...I was not prepared for the effort involved in cutting up a butternut squash. That thing was a beast. I think what I really needed was a hacksaw to get through the darn thing. But then I would have ended up with a stump for an arm as opposed to this......



Yes, this is a very blurry picture of a poorly wrapped fingertip. All I can say is, I took approximately 47 pictures of my hand trying to get one that actually resembled a hand. This is the best I could do. All the other pictures looked like a white blob.

While cutting the squash with a very, very large knife, I slipped and cut my finger pretty badly. And it HURT like a "you know what". With all the nerve endings and such in that region, it's quite the sensitive area. Once I finished cleaning and wrapping it, our poor bathroom looked like a murder scene. Never a dull moment :-) I think I'll stick to eating salads to fulfill my veggie servings for awhile. Or better yet, maybe I'll just drink V-8 juice (no chance of injury there....knock on wood).

On the running front, things are progressing nicely. My endurance is starting to come back and I'm hoping my speed will get back to normal as well. I can't wait for some warmer days (and by warmer, I mean anything above freezing) so I can run outside. I'm not a fan of the treadmill. Plus, ours is permanently stuck at a 1.5% incline (it will raise, but it won't lower) so I'm always going uphill. Granted, it's not a large incline, but you start to feel it after 5 miles, trust me. I'm looking forward to the State Farm 10 miler coming up on March 26th. I'm really hoping to finish in a time of 1:25:00 or better. I guess we'll see!

OK, that's all I have for today. Have a nice evening everyone!

No comments: