Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Royal Pain in the, um, Foot

Happy March, my peeps! I love spring. Don't you?? It is my second favorite season behind fall. We've had some seriously gorgeous days lately. I dropped Ben off at speech therapy on Tuesday and ran an errand. When I went back to get him I was a little early, so I decided to roll down the windows and just sit in the car for a bit. It was darn near heavenly. It was 70 degrees, sunny, a bit windy (but not super-windy), and the birds were chirping away. I just closed my eyes and took it all in for a few minutes. Small pleasures :-)

I'm really glad to see winter coming to an end because, although the weather this winter has been pretty amazing, it has been a tough one health-wise for the Reynolds family. I think it was late January when it all started and has been one thing after another ever since. First, I had a week-long stomach bug, then Ben got very sick (upper respiratory) for about a week, then I got what Ben had except mine turned into a month-long bout with bronchitis. I sounded like a man for a good week and completely lost my voice for two days. Then, when I finally got to the point where I felt like I could start my half-marathon training, I developed a large ganglion cyst on my foot and had to have it surgically removed. Does it sound like I'm whining?? Because, I am.

Sooooo, I've been wearing this uber-fashionable "boot" on my foot for a week now. I have one more week to go and then the staples come out. Then, I have to take it easy for a couple more weeks and then I can resume vigorous exercise. I will say, however, that surgery was like a small vacation. Is that sad? I mean, at one point, the nurse was prepping my foot by washing and scrubbing it and we were chit-chatting and, for a second, I felt like I was getting a pedicure. And everyone was always checking on me and making sure I was okay and I didn't have to do ANYTHING. And then they gave me what the anesthesiologist referred to as my "margarita" (not the sedative used in surgery, but a "pre-sedative", if you will) and said it would make me feel like I had a couple glasses of wine. It actually made me feel like I had a couple of BOTTLES of wine and then I'm pretty sure I fell asleep mid-sentence. I don't remember a whole lot after that. It was glorious.

This means the half-marathon is probably going to be a "just for the fun of it" event. I'll admit, I have a hard time running races "just for the fun of it". I mean, it's called a race for a reason people. I've never been good at half-a@#ing things. If I do something, I like to do my best. It's called being a perfectionist. It has been my lifelong blessing and curse. So, my sights are now set on bigger and better things......I'm planning on doing the Disney Marathon in Orlando next January!!!!! It will be my FIRST FULL MARATHON!! I'm so, so, so excited. I really hope it doesn't sell out before I get to register. I've already asked my mom to come with me and hopefully we'll get to spend some time with my aunt, uncle and cousin while we're down there (they live in Tampa). Since it's going to be my first marathon, I figured the Disney marathon would be ideal. We'll be running throughout all four parks so there will be all kinds of distraction from the pain :-) My only goal for this race will be to finish and to enjoy myself!! Oh, and not die.

I'm also excited because we're going to Florida in a few weeks to visit Greg's family. It will be Ben's first trip to the beach. We've been talking about it for weeks and he is mega-pumped. We're going to be taking family pictures while we're down there, so I was out looking for something to wear and was harshly reminded in the dressing room that (a) Two months of zero physical activity has translated to a mild, yet annoying weight gain and (b) I am pale....like, blindingly so. I don't think all the self-tanner in the world is going to help me. It will probably just make me look "normal-person pale" as opposed to "is that really her skin or is she wearing white tights all over her body?!?" pale. I'll still be using the tanner though. I have to....the world's optical health depends on it.

Ok, well, that's all the news I have right now. I know you are jealous of our glamorous life :-) Have a great weekend everyone!

Brooke

No comments: