Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

So, I ran a race this morning. The Havelock Charity 10k. It didn't go so well. I had been trying to prepare myself for the probability that I was going to be a bit slower than usual due to the fact that I just haven't been running a whole lot lately. I'm not one of those "natural" runners. I have to work hard at it....and when I don't, it's rough. Today was ROUGH!!! I couldn't blame it on the weather because it was only 70 degrees for most of the race and it wasn't particularly windy. A little humid, but not horrible. Today was the first race I've run where I felt pretty craptastic about how I performed (Hmmmm, I wonder why spell-check is flagging "craptastic".......you mean that's not a word??? :-)) I'll get over it, though. I'm just grateful God has given me health and the ability to run!! Here is a pic taken right before I left for the race. The smile of optimism.....

Here are my stats: Finished 10k (6.2 miles) in 52:19. An 8:26 pace. Placed 336 of 866 overall and 93 of 441 for females. They didn't break it down by age group in this race. I know this doesn't sound particularly bad....and it really isn't. I think my discouragement stems from the way I felt through the entire race....like a big piece of poop. I usually have a lot more energy. I wanted to just give up about 57 times. I walked twice...through the water stations...because I haven't yet mastered the art of drinking from a Dixie cup while running. It always goes straight up my nose. The good part though....I felt GREAT about 10 minutes after the race. Ahhh, the runner's high. It happens whether you do great or not!! Here is a pic taken right after I got home. Greg and Ben were standing at the door to greet me when I walked in. Love my guys!!

Ok, no more obnoxious whining about my race. Summer is in full swing here and we've been outside pretty much ALL day, EVERY day unless it's raining. Ben and I usually hit the park first, then we get out his water table and pool until nap-time. And then it's right back outside to the pool. He LOVES to be in the water. We also go on the occasional bike ride (he rides in the bike trailer). And we've been to the children's zoo 3 times already (we bought a membership, so you can bet we're going to get our money's worth!!) Love, love, love summer!!!!

Oh, and here is some AWESOME news. Ben has officially "graduated" from having to see the endocrinologist. For those who don't know or have forgotten, Ben was born with transient congential hypothyroidism. His birth mom had a thyroid condition that she took meds for. The meds temporarily altered the functioning of Ben's thyroid, so he was on daily medication to balance it out. Well, he has been off the meds for 4 months now. He has been having periodic blood tests in those 4 months to check his thyroid and it has been perfectly normal every time!! So, no more meds and no more endocrinologist!! God is good!!

Finally, I thought I'd include a pic of Ben's fresh haircut courtesy of moi. I was going to show you a before and after, but the "before" is so embarrassing that I can't bring myself to put it on here. At the time, I don't think I realized how long it had gotten but now that it's short again, I can't believe how bad it was. Yikes!! Anyway, it looks better now. When Greg got home, he thought I had taken him to a "professional", so I gave myself a little pat on the back. Yay for free haircuts!!

Happy Saturday!

Brooke

2 comments:

Mike said...

Great news about Ben!! See you in a couple days!

Cindy said...

That's terrific about Ben! And you can still run farther than I would even dare think that I could even walk! See you soon!